Sunday, January 14, 2018

Don't Judge Me

Have you ever over reacted at something? Worse, have you overreacted and then, in some switch of fate, had to eat your words and leave with your tail between your legs?

True story; it’s confession time. I was out grocery shopping today, and stopped to talk to someone on my Bluetooth while sitting in my car in the parking lot. Minding my own business, I quickly realized that this van had just parked next to me. Like, literally NEXT TO ME. I could touch the van from my seat, that’s how close she was. I was on the phone but did not hesitate to make a face at the woman when she looked at me, but I was too distracted by my phone call to take any sort of real action.

When I was off the phone, however, I *slowly* opened my door and peered out. She was IN my spot. The problem was that I was also in the SAME spot <insert angry face>. I, ever so carefully, inched my way out of my car (which is no small task, considering how ginormous you are when you are 8.5 months pregnant) which took a couple minutes. Sliding down the side of my car to freedom, very upset at this woman’s lack of respect for other drivers, I stared incredulously at the back of her van as if doing so would forcibly remove that vehicle and dislodge it from its very undesirable location.

And then I saw it. Her bumper sticker. On her car was the bumper sticker to the Christian radio station that I listen to. I am not proud of my next thoughts...I stared in disbelief at this piece of sticky paper, as if it were mocking me.  She’s a Christian?? And she did this? Instantly my mind ran through a dozen different scenarios that involved her and what I thought this meant about who she was and even her relationship to God. Well, she must not be that good of a Christian for her to do this….who does she think she is, Jesus? …. Maybe that sticker belongs to someone else…

Our actual Care Net sticker - contact us for your free one!
I finally turned to leave this crime scene when it happened. I saw on the back of MY car was my Care Net bumper sticker. Instantly I was humbled. Most people who know Care Net , know that it is a faith-based, pro-life ministry that seeks to provide hope and support for those facing the crisis of unplanned pregnancy. In order to be a part of the ministry, you have to ascribe to the tenants of the Christian faith. By promoting Care Net, you would be right to assume that I not only support the ministry and therefore Christianity, and am myself a Christian.

Do you see the hypocrisy? How many people may have looked at me and felt the same way that I was feeling towards this stranger? I *may* have cut through a few parking lots on my way home from work a time or two (hey, I have a looong commute and there’s a ton of traffic! Gotta save time where I can!). I *may* go more than 5mph over the speed limit on occasion. And there is that slight possibility that I have thrown out gum or an apple core from my window once or twice (did I mention that I get hungry on this long commute?).

After reading this, how many of you judged me the same way I judged this woman? How much worse would you feel once you knew that I was the Executive Director of Care Net? Does this exacerbate your feelings about my behavior? Do you want to yell at me and lecture me about the environment? Do you want to read to me the state and county laws of proper driving mechanics? Do you think I should retake my driver’s test?


Friends, let me tell you something: You are no different than me. Just as I am no different from that woman. No matter what we do, someone will judge us from what they see, or how we made them feel. I am not getting ready to give you some sermon about “Judge not, lest ye be judged”  because, let’s face it, we are human and we are prone to judge. What I am saying is that how we live and treat others reflects who and what we value. 

For me, I value love, vulnerability, honesty, and integrity. I cherish life. That's how I live in my personal and professional life; that's what I expect in return. As Director of Care Net, that is what I want each client to see and feel every time they walk through our doors. I know I am far from perfect - we all are. But despite my imperfections, I still strive to do my best and be my best for all those around me. 
πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“The two biggest loves of my life πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“
"So that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10



No comments:

Post a Comment

Peace Begins Here...

You guys, I have a confession to make. I’m tired. Beyond tired; I am exhausted. I feel like I am on the verge of tears more than I’m not. ...